Losing 50 pounds was about more than physical fitness. The challenge helped me reconnect with everything I love and value.Read More
How many times have you gotten to lunch and realized you haven't had a sip of water since breakfast, and maybe not even then? Maybe you're too busy to notice your thirst. Or maybe you're one of those people who can't stand to drink plain water. I hear you! But there are ways to make drinking water a seamless and enjoyable part of your day.Read More
With so much information out there, how do you know what are the most important things to do to get real results? Everyone's body is different and I'm sure many of you have tried something that worked for someone else but didn't work for you right? So I've put together these tips to help you narrow down the basic important things to do to lose weight, get toned, build muscle and maintain it. As you learn your body you can make changes that will increase your results to get you in the best shape of your life.Read More
The thought of exercising can sometimes bum you out. To change that perspective try thinking about new types of sport or physical activities that sound fun and try one out. You might find the activity is so cool, it perks up your perspective and you realize you can have fun while exercising. If you can't think of anything, here are a few ideas that are great ways to have fun and enjoy life. Oh yeah, by the way, it's exercising too.
Fun ways to Exercise:
Swimming- play a game in the pool that requires you to swim laps, dive deep to the bottom of the pool and provide consistent ways to move your body. Here are some game ideas: Marco Polo, Chicken, Tag, Colors, First one to find the penny, and many more.
Local sports leagues for adults- soccer, basketball, tennis, football, softball, etc.
Dancing- Take professional lessons where they also do performances.
JuJitsu- learn self defense and develop a great mind for technical skill while building real confidence.
Muay Thai/ Kick boxing- have fun hitting something and letting out your frustrations the right way.
Obstacle courses- Train to do a mud run or just learn how you can get through each course and develop the skills to accomplish the task.
Rock Climbing- Tackle your fears, climb to great heights.
Off road/Mountain Biking- Or just riding your bike around your city.
Jump on trampoline
The list can go on and on........
Explore this list and your own ideas, and I know you can find something that sounds fun and that you want to try out. Try it, you never know. You'll amaze yourself. You only live once and if exercising bums you out, then move you body by doing a fun activity you enjoy, consistently.
Finding a fun thing to do that increases your heart rate and requires you to move your body for an extended period of time and you can do it consistently, is a great way to become healthier and at the same time, increase your joy for life. Making life worth living!
Need help get motivated and started on a fun exercise program now, call 760-658-4708 or email me at firstname.lastname@example.org
Did you know that the # 1 cause of death in America is cardiovascular disease? And #2 is cancer? Many of us think about our health only when we are sick or when a loved one becomes ill. Sometimes, when we start to consider the importance of taking care of our bodies, it's too late. I hope after you read this article you'll want to take charge of your health and motivate those around you to do the same. Our bodies don't start showing signs of neglect for years, when we're way down the road. Also, if you are predisposed to a specific illness genetically, you may be able to keep that gene dormant if you adopt a healthy way of living now. So make a commitment today to incorporate these 7 healthy habits in your lifestyle.
7 Healthy Habits
1. Diet/Nutrition (what you eat 85% of the time)
- 5 servings green, red, yellow vegetables and 2 servings of fruit daily
- 4 servings of protein with low fat
- 2 servings of healthy fats like omega-3s, avocado, olive oil, nuts.
- 3 servings of whole grains (Unless you have allergies to grains. I'm an advocate for the Paleo diet, as many of you know. But the way I train, I need more dense carbs. By cleaning up my diet and eating Paleo most of the time, I have found my body works well with digesting rice, bran, and whole unprocessed wheat. As I'm working towards building more muscle mass, whole grains are an important part of my diet just as much as protein and veggies are. Find out what works best for you! Listen to your gut and how you feel. Your gut will let you know.)
2. Fitness (3 to 5 days a week of moderate to vigorous exercise)
- Strength training 3 days a week. No time? Train at home. Set some kettle bells and free weights up in your garage or bedroom.
- Flexibility training 2 to 3 days a week. Take a yoga class or download a video at home.
- Cardiovascular (cardio) training 3 days a week. Go to the park with your kids and actually play with them! Try tag, soccer, etc. Get your heart rate up.
- Plan your fitness like you do your work. Schedule time for your workouts. No excuses!
- Schedule your sleep time to get at least 6 to 8 hours of sleep. The average person needs 7 hours. Find out what your body needs to feel fully charged.
4. Meditation (keep the mind active and stress levels in check)
- Deep Breathing - Connect with your breath
- Progressive Muscle Relaxation - Tense and relax one muscle group at a time
- Visualization/Imagery - Imagine you're some place relaxing, and connect your senses to that place
- Listening to Music
5. Social & Environment
- Limit toxicity
- No drinking, smoking, drugs
6. Time with Family and Friends
- Make time to spend with those you love and make life worth living
7. Spiritual Wellness (connect with the inner you)
- Meditation and emotional stability, ground yourself and find inner peace
Be sure to continually think about and work on all aspects of your health and wellness. Don't forget a huge part of well-being is mental--keeping your mind active, your emotions and stress in control, ad balancing your need for social, environmental and spiritual health.
"Genetics also play a big factor- so know your family history. Remember you may have a gene for cancer, but it may never get turned on if you are proactive and protect your health & wellness! "
"When your health is at stake nothing else matters!" - Professor Robert Fullbright
If you would like to know more about how to be proactive with your health or need help kicking your healthy lifestyle into gear Give me a call 760-658-4708.