Sarah Fragoso is the host of Paleo Lifestyle and Fitness podcast, a valuable resource if you have questions about the Paleo lifestyle. She also came up with the recipe below.
A little spicy, a little sweet, this meat-only chili is 100 percent paleo and perfect for those weekdays where you want an easy meal you can throw in the slow cooker and forget about until the evening.
All-American Meat Lovers Chili
- 6 ounce Italian sausage
- 1 pound round steak, chopped into bite-sized pieces
- 2 pounds ground sirloin
- 2 cups chopped yellow onion
- 1 ½ cups chopped bell pepper
- 8 cloves of garlic, minced
- 2 28-ounce cans of chopped tomatoes with their juice
- 2 tablespoons chili powder (the kind with chili, cumin, oregano, etc.)
- 1 tablespoon ancho chili powder (the kind with just ground ancho chilis)
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- ½ teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 bay leaves
Heat a large pan over high heat. Add all the meat (with sausage casings removed), onion, bell pepper, and garlic. Cook, stirring occasionally, until all the meat is brown. Add all of the ingredients—except for the tomatoes—and cook one minute as you stir. Stir in the tomatoes and bring the mixture to a boil. Transfer the mixture to a slow cooker and let it simmer for six hours on low. When you’re ready to serve it, take the bay leaves out and add garnishes like chopped onions, cheese, and mashed avocado. Enjoy!