With so much information out there, how do you know what are the most important things to do to get real results? Everyone's body is different and I'm sure many of you have tried something that worked for someone else but didn't work for you right? So I've put together these tips to help you narrow down the basic important things to do to lose weight, get toned, build muscle and maintain it. As you learn your body you can make changes that will increase your results to get you in the best shape of your life.Read More
This weekend I went to the beach with my family. To participate in "family time", I had to join in and wear a swimsuit. As I looked down the beach in every direction, I saw so many young people looking fit, with perky booties and tight, toned bodies. Then as I looked down at my thighs all I saw was bumpy skin, and I thought to my self, ew! It does look like cottage cheese."
With all the hard work I put in the gym, I shouldn't be experiencing this. Then I think about what I'm doing outside the gym. "EATING!" Do I eat clean? How often? When I don't, do I binge? These are important questions if you want faster results in the gym.
Here is a great way to lock in your eating and get control. Stop what may be sabotagingall your hard work in the gym! Now, I'm not saying you can't live and enjoy food, but learn to be creative and eat with moderation, portion control, thinking homemade, real ingredients with nutritional substance as a mandatory. Not just calorie counting please!
Think when eating.....
Low fats/Good fats
- omegas, olive oil, nuts, coconut oil, avocado.......learn your good fats and eat them daily, just don't go crazy.
Fast burning Carb (post-carb training)
- vegetables, low glycemic fruit
Dense Carbs-slow burning-startchy (pre-meal intense training)
- sweet potatoes, brown rice/white rice, quinoa, high fiber whole grains, lentils
Protein- approx 1g per lb of body weight
- lean meats/low fat with high protein like fish, turkey, chicken,
- lean, iron rich meats sparingly like lamb, venison, beef (filet migon)
- approx under 220mg daily recommended for those without hypertension (high blood pressure)
Everyone knows that the way to get real results from all the hard work in the gym (and to manage your weight) you have to eat healthy. With so many diets out there, how do you know what foods are really considered clean? Here are some tips for clean eating.
Focus On Nutrients, Not Just Calories
In the long run, it is better to focus on overall health rather than calorie counting. Think: energy in, energy out. The energy that you get from food will be your body's fuel. Good nutrition allows your body to properly use the fuel/food efficiently, helping increase your longevity, not just make you thin.
Think about it...prevention is better than cure!
If your body doesn't get the nutrients it needs, it will eventually stop working for you. And that's when you'll find yourself dealing with real problems.
Clean Eating Tips At-A-Glance
- Eat fresh produce in season (things you can eat raw makes it a faster grab)
- Avoid added sugars and processed foods. Stick with whole grains, all-natural ingredients, and a farm-to-table approach
- Balance fiber-rich carbs with veggies/fruit, lean meats, and good fat
1. Hydrate: Drink plenty of clear water through out your day-about a gallon
Have multiple water bottles that you can fill up. Keep one in a place where you can grab it as you're headed out the door, another by your desk at work, another one in the car, etc. The more fail-proof you make things, and set yourself up, the more you'll be able to stick to the needs of your body and not just the demands of the day. Don't be neglecting your body while knocking out your to do lists. You need your body. It's your vehicle in life!
Hydrating your muscles (the engine to your body) boosts your metabolism and performance levels, increasing your endurance. Let's not forget it also helps with appetite suppression, promotes organ function, and gives an overall healthy glow to your skin. Now why wouldn't you want to get proper water intake with all those benefits?! You can do it!
(If you don't like clear water add lemon, mint leaves, or sugar-free electrolytes.)
2. Eat fresh produce in season-load up!
Our bodies need the right nutrients to function properly. Make each meal better by adding more veggies. If you have a sweet tooth, fruit is a great choice.
Carrots, celery, green leaf lettuce, bell peppers, cucumbers, apples, berries, and pears are some examples of quick veggies and fruits that don't require much work to prepare and are convenient to grab on the go. For the best-tasting produce, learn what is in season and find out what your favorites are. Enjoy their delicious, juicy, mouth-watering flavors. You'll love the way you feel consistently eating fresh produce!
Think about it...veggies and fruit are fast-burning carbs that provide high fiber. They help your body absorb more nutrients from the other food you're eating and give you energy through vitamins and minerals that feed your body for optimal health. This makes your body happy!
3. Eliminate added sugars and prepackaged/processed food (eat farm-to-table)
It's all about choosing unrefined foods. Foods in their natural state don't have added sugars or additives. If you can't read some of the ingredients, don't buy it!
Think about it...eating sugar-added foods and processed, prepackaged foods leave you with crashing energy levels and increased appetite. This takes you on a roller coaster ride, and you feel like crap. It's not worth it!
Let's not forget to mention that eating this kind of food causes inflammation in your body and can increase aches and pains throughout your body and contribute to decreased thought processes.
Great ideas include whole grain, fresh baked goods from the bakery section, bulk bin nuts, whole grain oats, brown rice, quinoa, barley, and similar foods.
4. Balance your diet
Learning your body's needs is important. Not everyone's body processes food the same way. Learn yours!
A great start in balancing your clean eating is knowing your body will burn carbs as a energy source first before anything else. Understanding this, eat denser carbs like sweet potatoes, red or purple potatoes, brown rice, and quinoa before an activity that would require a lot of energy.
Lean meats contain essential b-12, the highest levels of protein, and many more essential minerals. These help keep your muscles healthy and increase your body's performance. Your muscles are considered the engine for your body. You need to properly take care of them so your body can run most effectively throughout your life.
Moderation of good fats is key. We need good fats for proper cell function and for our body systems to work right. But this doesn't mean go overboard! Remember, if you don't use it, it goes into storage (body fat).
Good fat ideas include olive oil, coconut oil, omega-3s, nuts (almonds and cashews are my favorite), and avocado.
Think...*feed your body nutrients, *increase fiber for absorption of the nutrients, *use energy (food) in to produce energy out, *increase hydration for organs to continue to function properly!
Cellulite is one of the most frustrating things to deal with. I decided to figure out how to get rid of my cellulite and I realized it wasn't going to be easy. I tried everything under the moon, but with no real results, just only temporary results. This journey I took, required a lot of patience, dedication and some real desire on wanting to get rid of it. This is what I did to finally get rid of my cellulite.
Celluite is fat cells that are right beneath the skin. It looks bumpy because the skin puckers due to the fat cell pushing against connective tissue.
Foam Rolling, stimulate blood flow
- not just helps with tightness of the muscles ,myo-fascia release, but helps with blood flow through your connective tissue and brings blood flow close to the surface where your fat cells are located.
- foam roll in a heated room or sauna to get awesome stimulation of blood flow in your areas of cellulite.
- running stairs engages more of your leg muscles than alternative cardio. Skip a step to increase your challenge and engage more of your glutes and hamstring muscles. This High intensity workout will help you loose weight and burn off fat in the areas where you have cellulite.
- Don't give up! when you feel the burn, that is an indicator your pushing forward on your goal.
- "dehydration can directly impede the body's ability to use and remove fat from the fat cells"-www.consumerhealthdigest.com
- Try to drink close to a gallon, throughout your day.
- drink water first thing when you awake in the morning, before coffee.
- drink approx 33-40 oz of water by 10am
- simplify the process, make it easy for you to stick to it! Have a water bottle at hand at all times, one that you can refill and keep track of how much your drinking throughout your day.
Cupping, A deeper way to get blood flow
- This is amazing! If you have severe cellulite or not, this is defiantly for you. You may want to buy a package of sessions to do this ecomnomically, doing this consistenly gets new blood flow to your tissues and in combination with exercise and diet, it ignites the process. It will still require you to have patience in the process but stick to it.
Diet- What your eating and how
- binge eating is terrible for you. Your body isn't sure what to do with the increase of calories at one time and so it goes straight to storage, in your fat cells.
- FAT & SUGAR should be eaten sparingly, large amounts can increase cellulite
- Ideal diet would be considered a clean-eating diet, fresh veggies, lean meats, no processed, pre-packaged foods, sticking to proper portion sizes consistently.
- Cheat days, still minimize portion size and the frequency of your cheat days.
If your serious about getting rid of your cellulite, you can do it! It will require you to stick to it to get the results. Keep in mind, this process is in-line with living a healthy lifestyle so this can help you achieve much more than just removing cellulite off your body. Make sure you incorporate all the above that has been mentioned. Getting rid of cellulite isn't a "one thing" job. It does require discipline with your diet, exercise and stimulating new blood flow to your body tissues where the cellulite is present. Include it in your health and fit lifestyle regimen, you got this!!!
Andrea Tagalog ACE,ACSM, PT
If you would like further info and a complimentary consult contact Andrea 760-658-4708
Optimizing your body's ability to burn fat while preserving your muscle-building gains is the ideal way to burning fat and keeping the fat off. Increasing your heart rate, increasing your thermo-core while lifting moderate to heavy weights.
The most effective fat burning exercises, "short & sweet"
HIIT circuit usually is known as moderate-low intervals alternated with high-intensity intervals. That can consist of weighted squats with running.
It's one of the most effective ways to not just burn adipose tissue (stubborn fat), but it also increases aerobic and anaerobic endurance, increasing your metabolism. This will help you burn calories through out your day, way after you left the gym.
Know what your doing
An ideal fat burning training session would consist of HIIT circuits- non stop circuit using moderate to heavy weight, increasing weight with each set. Now I have found some people do well with this style of training and some end up injuring themselves because they are unconditioned for the exercises within the circuits they are doing. If your not confident on doing the exercises, have a trainer, fitness expert train you in the proper technique and then get at it!
Don't sell yourself short
It's important to know properly how to execute the exercises so your not just selling your self short on receiving the full benefits of each of the exercises but your not, putting yourself at risk of injury, which is setting yourself up for failure in the future. Exercise is suppose to increase your strength, mobility and overall longevity, to benefit you for the future. Work with your body not against it!
Here's 6 Tips to burn fat fast.
Tip #1 Do each exercise in your circuit back to back with little or no rest. Do each set the same.
keeping heart rate elevated helps you burn the most calories.
Tip #2 Rest periods should be within 30 secs to 1 min.
Tip #3 increase weight with each set to get the maximum benefit, allowing you to build strength and ignite your metabolism, helping you tap into your fat storage, burning more fat throughout your day.
Tip #4 Remember your mind will defeat you before your body will. Stay focus, keep your mind right, and dig deep, breath and push through.
Tip #5 Stay hydrated and take your amino's! If your dehydrated you won't be able to push through. Make sure you are drinking up to a gallon of water a day. If you struggle with your water consumption, the night before your training session, make a point to drink as much water as possible and then, first thing in the morning drink a 16+ ounces of water with your amino's. Then an hr later drink more water.
*suggestion: Amino's can be taken before and after a workout, and before you go to bed based on intensity of workouts. (helps with recovery of muscles)
Tip #6 Having a heart rate monitor and device that can track your activity levels, helps to give you an idea of how many calories your burning during a session, how high your heart rate is so you can have more control over your caloric intake (food consumption). This truly simplifies your life. Remember you don't want to over eat. Eat what you use for energy. You don't want to store any more fat. Think of eating to satisfy the formula of "energy in to produce energy out". Your on your way to becoming a lean mean machine!
*I love the apple watch, it helps me monitor my heart rate, how many calories I burn throughout my day and I don't miss a phone call.
Even if your not competing, focus on glute muscle development to achieve strength with balance and stability. Not to forget, every lady wants a good derriere! I really like this video. This is a great glute rountine and IFBB Pro Callie Bundy explains valuable points that you want to keep in mind when hitting these exercises. She knows her stuff!
Watch video all the way through with a note pad to write down these vauable points and take it to the gym! (Advise: Before beginning any exercise program, consult with your primary care physician.)
note: To challenge yourself increase weight with each set
1) Hip Thrusts 12-15 reps
2)Smith Machine- Squats 12-15 reps
3) Bulgarian Split Squats 12-15 reps per leg
1) Leg press 12-15 reps
2) Romanian Deadlift Stiff leg (RDL) 12-15 reps
3) Dumbell Sumo Squats 12-15 reps
If you need proper instruction, call me (Andrea T.) to set up a complimentary consultation. 760-658-4708
Finishing of your workout with ITALIAN CHICKEN SKEWERS